Saturday, October 29, 2016

Why I’m Voting

Why I’m Voting
By Charles E. Kraus
ctmagician@gmail.com

Mort Sahl used to say that when he died he wanted to be buried in Chicago so he could remain politically active.  Evidently, certain cemeteries have grave-side polling Mausoleums.

By my count, I’ve participated in 11 Presidential elections.  Some have turned out my way, others found the majority heading in a different direction.  Nixon and Bush II for example; I was opposed to those guys, and still am.  Eisenhower worked out better than my dad said he would.  At the time, I was too young to have my own opinion, so I had my dad’s.  We were wrong.  I’ve voted even when I knew my candidate was going to lose. Seemed like the right thing to do. Set an example for my kids. Gave me a sense of living up to the obligations an adult takes on.

There was a time when the associates of ward bosses “helped” transients get to the polls, told them who to vote for, then compensated the derelicts with a little whisky money for their trouble — or loyalty.  Take your pick.

When our country opened for business, only white property owners were allowed to vote.  Then most white adult males.  Later, black males - if they could withstand the harassment and skewed literacy tests.  Eventually, even women could vote!  By 1971 eighteen-year-olds were participating in the process.  If you were old enough to defend your country, you were old enough to help select its leaders.  

In 2008 and 2012, the Left brought voter roll disenfranchisement of minorities to our attention.  In 2016, the Alt-Right wants us to know that hoards of aliens have infiltrated the registration process to skew election results.  So we have it both ways.  Registered Hispanics are being dropped from voter rolls, and illegals are swamping the system.

In this year of turmoil, I still intend to submit a ballot.  Just not by email.

When you cast one, you are voting for candidates, initiatives, and for the system.  Showing up means you have faith in the process, that there are enough checks and balances built in to overcome any tampering.  There is value in continuity. I assume my vote counts just like I assume I can walk down the street and get to my destination.  It’s not a certainty, but an extremely strong probability.  

Voting is signaling. It’s a message to those with whom you disagree that a segment of the population rejects their assessments and game plans.   You are also signaling to those with whom you agree, letting them know there are like-minded individuals ready to organize for the next round.

The greater the turnout, the more likely the will of the people prevails.  

Of course, it would be nice to think that informed voters outnumber other participants.  A little effort, please, Dear Potential Voter. A vote is a message, and if you are sending a message, it's best to have something to say.

////


Charles E. Kraus lives, writes and votes in Seattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment